It would be a huge insult to your intelligence to say that crockpots are the “new” thing, but every autumn, food websites act like they are. OMG CROCKPOTZ. But as a non meat eater, throwing a pork shoulder in there won’t do me any good, which is why it’s my gift to you (and myself) to round up the best sounding non-repetitive, non-weird (pound cake in a crock pot? Naaahhh) meatless crockpot recipes from the Internet that’ll give you time to kick up your feet and let the machine do the work for you this fall.
And I’ll even include tips on how people who are as pathetic in the morning as myself can get the cooker cranking before heading off to work without having to wake up one moment earlier than possible. Ready? Okay!
- Black Bean Pumpkin Chili
- Butternut Squash Risotto
- Mac and Cheese (a 2 hour crock time)
- Refried Beans
- Indian Spiced Lentils
- Spaghetti Sauce
- Hot German Potato Salad (bacon optional, of course)
- Cheesy Corn and Peppers (a 2 hour crock time)
- Pho (Vietnamese soup)
- Garlic Mashed Potatoes
(Photo via The Savvy Chef)
And one final awesome list…
How To Get Crockin’ The Night Before
- Pre-cut your vegetables and corral them in a tupperware in the fridge.
- Pre-caramelize any onions that need it, let cool while you shower or watch an episode of the new fall shows in the eveninh, then tupperware those.
- Pre-measure out your spices right there and guess what? Put them in a small, dry tupperware.
- Soak your beans right when you get home from work. Drain them and re-cover with water before hitting the hay to remove the sugars that have released (these are what make us farty). Then they’ll be ready for their spa day in the slow cooker.
- Use canned tomatoes. Ain’t no one got time to cut up tomatoes, and they aren’t even GOOD ones now that it’s cooling down, if you got them from the store.