A few weeks ago… fine, it was well over a month ago- I said I would post the recipe for Emily Salad and well, here I am finally making it to photograph to go along with the recipe! This is a favorite of Patrick’s, and it’s one of the few ways I enjoy a straight raw spinach salad. This was also a fun evening of experimenting with the shutter speed on the Canon!
Emily Salad (aka Spinach Salad with Poppy seed Vinaigrette)
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 1/2 cup walnut (or pecan) pieces
- 1 cup mandarin orange slices
- crumbled feta cheese to taste (or goat cheese)
- Dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon grated onion
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- Divide spinach among four plates. Arrange orange slices, nut pieces, cheese, and cranberries.
- To make the dressing, put in a spill proof container (like this slightly misshapen Talenti container below!) and shake until emulsified.
- Dress salad right before serving.