I love looking back at these reflective surveys each each and seeing what I was thinking, feeling, and experiencing at the time. Some things never change, and some things do, radically. Here are ones from New Year’s Eve 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011.
1. What did you do in 2016 that you’d never done before?
I got a really good job that pays well that I really enjoy and was able to put some of that extra income to good use knocking down about $7000 of debt from the kitchen remodel in six months. Also, I went ziplining (twice).
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
My three biggest goals from this past year were to make more income, enjoy my close friends’ weddings, and do a little more traveling with Patrick. I DID make more income, I did enjoy my friends’ weddings, but we did NOT travel more. Our only trip together was in fact, to a wedding in Rhode Island with a day trip to Boston.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Everyone’s blowing out babies lately.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What countries did you visit?
6. What would you like to have in 2017 that you lacked in 2016?
Peace of mind and patience.
7. What dates from 2016 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
No particular date per se, but leaving my job at USC was big, traveling to DC was extremely fun and enjoyable, as was our annual girls’ trip, to Bryson City again this year.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Getting that baller job that funny enough, I did not think I wanted.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Measuring the year by paychecks. I was (and still am) so focused on my numbers financially, first paying down debt and now still debt and also working on building up a real savings account, that I measured the year by every two weeks. Sometimes that was a good way to pass the time, and other times it felt like I rushed the year by and am like, here we are again at New Year’s Eve.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I finally realized that I was getting sick too often because I was overdoing it with antibiotics. I endured several bacteria infections including perioral dermatitis TWICE which sucks. I am working to get my body balanced again.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
No major purchases this year, really.
12. Where did most of your money go?
Paying off my debt! Also still food and beer.
13. What did you get really excited about?
Not to repeat myself but money. I can’t help it. It’s an exciting new thing.
14. What song will always remind you of 2016?
I don’t think I had an anthem for the year.
15. Compared to this time last year, are you:
– happier or sadder? Depends on the day really. It’s fluctuated a lot lately.
– thinner or fatter? Working on fitter by hitting the gym at work 2-3 times a week.
– richer or poorer? Richer.
16. What do you wish you’d done more of?
17. What do you wish you’d done less of?
18. How did you spend Christmas Day?
Opening presents at home with Patrick and the pets, then preparing a Christmas lunch for my family.
19. What was your favorite TV program?
Another oldie… I’ve been watching Beverly Hills 90210.
20. What were your favorite books of the year?
Ooh. I read a lot of good ones with my book club and on my own, but my GoodReads list is the best way to keep up with that.
21. What was your favorite music from this year?
Same classic rock that it always is and always will be.
22. What were your favorite films of the year?
Did I even go to a movie this year? I really don’t know if I did. If I did, remind me, but clearly it wasn’t memorable enough.
23. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 31 on Mother’s Day this year. I had JUST left my job at USC a few days before and was preparing for a trip to DC and three weeks of relaxing before starting my new job.
24. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Being more in shape, or spending more time outside when the weather was nice.
25. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2016?
I got into the LulaRoe this year (thanks Liz, LOL) which brought a lot more patterns into my wardrobe!
26. What kept you sane?
That would assume I felt sane this year.
27. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2016.
All I want is to have a peace of mind.