Dairy-less ice cream sounds about as much fun as going to a playground with no swings, but these vegan people have the right idea sometimes. I’m sure anyone who has been into a Starbucks this summer has seen the coconut mocha frappucino*, and if you haven’t tried it you’re either crazy, allergic to coconut, or waiting for this post because chocolate and coconut just go together.
So here goes:
Chocolate Coconut Milk Ice Cream
- 2 15. oz cans light coconut milk
- 2/3 cup good quality cocoa powder
- 6-7 tablespoons light agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Blend all ingredients together thoroughly. Put in ice cream maker and follow manufacturer instructions.
- Garnish with coconut flakes, almond slices as desired.
Notes: it does get a bit icy after you put it in the freezer due to the lesser fat content, but nothing a quick 15 second zap in the microwave can’t cure. Though I haven’t tried it myself on this recipe, adding a tablespoon or so of alcohol (can we say Kahlua?) does wonders for reducing the iciness in homemade ice creams.
*Have ya’ll seen the new flavored mocha for the fall? Move over pumpkin spice latte, I am in love with the salted caramel mocha out at the buck$ now! Maybe that’ll be the next ice cream flavor.