Ever gotten up really early and then had boundless energy all day long? That was today for me. I got up at 6 a.m. 6:30 a.m. and was at the State Farmer’s Market by 7 to volunteer for the SC eCycles Day! The event turned out really great. I have never seen so many electronics in one place in my life. The good part was that a lot of people I didn’t expect to see showed up to give us their goods. Older (like 60+) people, mullet wearin’ rednecks with  pickup trucks full, just everyone. By the time my shift was over, I’d started to break a sweat, made some friends, and got a Keep the Midlands Beautiful t-shirt.

Afterwards, I don’t know what came over me, but I decided to continue working on a project that I started last summer. I am building up a corner of the back yard for a platform that will have a hammock and lots of lush plants, and rocks. I went and got 17 bags of 40 lb. topsoil and moved them 4 times (1. Wal-mart to car, 2. car to over the fence, 3. ground to wheelbarrow, 4. wheelbarrow to ground again) for a total of 2720 lbs. worth of dirt I lugged today. I leveled it the best I could, then dragged the hammock stand over and put it in place.

Then I upped the game and started building another level to the platform out of free flagstones I scored from Craigslist in the fall and haven’t really done anything with other than toss them along the edge of the yard.

I didn’t weigh the rocks, but there’s a bunch more hauled weight. If I can’t move in the morning, this will be why! Did I stop there though? Yes, for a few hours. There is more to be done with this outdoors project, but I would like to think that it’ll be fun to pick out the plants, then nurture them by putting more dirt around them.

But then around 9 p.m., I turned my attention inside the house and pulled out the paintbrush to attack the hallway. I really wanted to see the color I chose on the walls, so I applied a first coat of the chosen color to the areas I had already primed. Here is the before, as a reminder of what it was:

And what it looks like with the first coat of paint:

Much better! The next step is to mix a small batch of paint with unsanded tile grout and paint it on as smoothly as possible to ensure even coverage and no lumps to make it a chalkboard ready surface. This will be the very last thing that happens, once all of the other walls have been painted over once, because using the tile grout destroys a paintbrush by the time it is all said and done. More detailed pictures of the chalkboard paint process will come at a hopefully not too much later date.


To fortify myself after all of the strenuous lifting and to fuel up for the painting, I made Oh She Glows hummus. Can you believe that it’s not butter??